Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Ability to evaluate the instructional programs and teaching effectiveness
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to coordinate campus functions
Ability to interpret policy, procedures, and data
Strong organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Three years of experience as a classroom teacher
Administrative experience required
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Align the major functions of the assignment with district goals such that all students succeed. Under the direction and supervision of the supervisor, the Intermediate School Principal serves as the administrator of their assigned Intermediate School. In addition to being responsible for maintaining an effective instructional program, the principal is responsible for the supervision of the school physical plant, the school budget, the certificated and classified staff, the student activity programs, and is responsible for maintaining active relationships with the community and close articulation with other educational levels.
- Monitor instructional and managerial processes to ensure that program activities are related to program outcomes and use findings to take corrective actions.
- Regularly consult the campus-level committee about planning, operation, supervision, and evaluation of campus education program. Include students and community representatives when appropriate.
- Utilize campus instructional data and program data to make decisions that will improve student achievement and/or modify campus programs.
School or Organization Morale
- Provide instructional resources and materials to support teaching staff in accomplishing instructional goals.
- Foster collegiality and team building among staff members. Encourage their active involvement in the decision-making process.
- Provide two-way communication with the executive director, staff, students, parents, and community.
- Communicate and promote expectations for high-level performance to staff and students. Recognize excellence and achievement.
- Ensure the effective and quick resolution of conflicts.
School or Organization Improvement
- Build a common vision for school improvement with staff. Direct planning activities and put programs in place with staff to ensure the attainment of the school’s mission.
- Identify, analyze, and apply research findings to promote school improvement.
- Develop and set annual campus performance objectives for each of the Academic Excellence Indicators using the campus planning process and site-based decision-making committee.
- Interview, select, and orient new staff. Approve all personnel assigned to the campus.
- Define expectations for staff performance with regard to instructional strategies, classroom management, and communication with the public.
- Observe employee performance, record observations, and conduct evaluation conferences with staff.
- Assign and promote campus personnel.
- Make recommendations to the superintendent on termination, suspension, or nonrenewal of employees assigned to the campus.
- Work with campus-level committees to plan professional development activities.
- Confer with subordinates regarding their professional growth. Work with them to develop and accomplish improvement goals.
Management of Fiscal, Administrative, and Facilities Functions
- Comply with district policies and state and federal laws and regulations affecting the schools.
- Develop campus budgets based on documented program needs, estimated enrollment, personnel, and other fiscal needs. Keep programs within budget limits, maintain fiscal control; accurately report fiscal information.
- Compile and maintain, all reports, records, and other documents required including accurate and timely reports of attendance and textbooks.
- Manage the use of school facilities. Supervise maintenance of facilities to ensure a clean, orderly, and safe campus.
[Secondary Principals: Direct and manage extracurricular and intramural programs including management of multiple activity funds.]
- Work with faculty and students to develop a student discipline management system that results in positive student behavior and enhances the school climate.
- Ensure that school rules are uniformly observed and that student discipline is appropriate and equitable in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and the campus handbook.
- Conduct conferences about student and school issues with parents, students, and teachers.
School or Community Relations
- Articulate the school’s mission to the community and solicit support in accomplishing the mission.
- Use appropriate techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
Professional Growth and Development
- Develop professional skills appropriate to job assignments.
- Demonstrate professional, ethical, and responsible behavior. Serve as a role model for all campus staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.